Thursday, October 24, 2013

October 21, 2013

Hey everybody! I hope you are all doing well and that the week was spectacular! Soccer is winding down it sounds like. Yes dad, I had the same thing happen to me with the question about the colors of skin. I didn't really know what to say, and I still don't really know how to explain it, but the scripture in D&C says it all. I will tell you in your mind and in your heart in the very hour. It was a great experience! As far as Lala and Tati, they are doing great and come to church every week. Their older brother left on a mission last week, Just 6 days after he baptized them. It was a very special experience for them. Heh, Zach! Great job with the talk on Sunday! You are a great kid! And I love you too!!!! I love all of you! Noelle!! Caleb!! Emma!! Mom!! Dad!! Jessiqa!! Rudy.... hmm.

I have been afraid to send pictures home because some of the computers have viruses and some of the Elders have had there whole memory card wiped clean trying to send pictures home. I'll send them when I can, if I find a safer spot. 

This week was crazy just like all the others. There is never a dull or boring moment. Always something to be doing! We have Norberto and Iliza that are a couple with two little kids and not married. They have been coming faithfully to church for more than a month now! And they really want to be married, so they have set some broad goals for the middle of next year sometime. The next time we go over we are going to try and get some dates down so marriage and baptism seem more tangible and real. Heh, funny story this week. We met one drunk man that said he was an ex pastor that started yelling at another drunk man trying to cast out devils and calling the man a demon. It was hard not to laugh. The other drunk man started to walk away and our friend turned to us and said "See! See!  He recognized me and he's running away!" It was pretty funny. We did lots more contacting this week and found lots of interesting and cool people. It hard sometimes because you just want everybody to accept your message and they either reject it or make promises that they know they wont keep. Its just a matter of finding the true seekers of light. And when that happens there are not words to describe or to explain the joy, pure joy. 

Today for our activity we went to the orphanage!! It was something that, up until now, I had only seen on TV or read in a magazine about the orphans in Africa. I loved every min of it. There were about 30 orphans there today but on other days the numbers swell to over 100. It was nice though because we go to do a lot of 1 on 1. We got there in time for the classes, and today they were doing math. So I got put in a group with three little boys and started going over basic math. We were all given a small cup of beans and did small math equations adding and subtracting beans. Then we used packets that had come from care packages. Remember all those packages that we would always put together with the tooth brushes, soap, towels, pencils, chalk, etc...? i never thought they actually made it here. We used small math booklets that had been put together at a youth conference back in the states. And the children here love it!!! It was something that I will never forget. After that we played around in the cement yard for 30 min. I learned a lot of new games and had loads of fun. those kids love the missionaries. They always beg for the men in the white shirts to come back. I loved it so much!! The children here are so much fun and are always ready to have some fun!

On Saturday we went to the place of the old people. Its kind of like a nursing center. Our Branch and a few others did a service project there. We even got to wear the yellow Helping Hands vests. I scrubbed down the stairs at first and then went up stairs to cut hair...yep...I cut Angolan hair. I met a man named Ernesto, he is very old and has been in a wheelchair all his life because his legs are deformed. But I got to cut his hair and chat with him. Some of the other Elders got to shave faces as well. It was a great day!!
Thats about the wrap for this week. Oh, and on Saturday we are going to watch General conference with the Branch!! Finally! The last time we watched it I didnt understand anything that was going on. This time I hope I will be able to understand a lot more. 

Thank you for all you do for me and for the support you have given. I love you all very much!!
Elder Dredge

No comments:

Post a Comment